Applying for Medicaid
You may select Sentara Health Plans as your Virginia Medicaid or FAMIS plan provider when you apply. We have the following tips to help you get started.
When to Apply
- New to Medicaid
Apply at any time of the year. Learn about information to prepare and how to apply.
- Enroll a Newborn
Report the birth as quickly as possible to enroll.
- Switch to Sentara Health Plans
You have the option to change to Sentara Health Plans during the first 90 days of Medicaid assignment. Current Medicaid members of a different health plan provider may change to Sentara Health Plans during the time of year called open enrollment. Learn how to switch.
How to Apply
There are several ways to apply for Medicaid or FAMIS benefits in Virginia:
- Phone: Contact Cover Virginia at 1-833-5CALLVA (1-833-522-5582) (TDD: 1-888-221-1590). Available Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. or Saturday from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m.
- Online: commonhelp.virginia.gov
- Mail or drop-off paper application: Download from coverva.dmas.virginia.gov/apply and print, or request from your local Department of Social Services (DSS). Once complete, the application should be sent or delivered to your local DSS for processing.
Switching to Sentara Health Plans is easy.
Call within 90 days of receiving your health plan assignment letter.
Enroll a Newborn
Coverage for newborns is not automatic. Report the baby’s birth within 10 work days. The following options are available:
- Call the Cover Virginia Call Center at 1-855-242-8282 (TDD: 1-888-221-1590).
- Contact your local Department of Social Services.
- child's name
- date of birth
- Medicaid ID number of newborn’s mother, if applicable